Massachusetts Air National Guard
Brigadier General James M. LeFavor
Brig. Gen. James M. LeFavor is the Commander, Massachusetts Air National Guard. He is the principal advisor to The Adjutant General, Air Component Commander and Land Component Commander in the administration, coordination, planning, development and execution of all Air National Guard and National Guard Joint Staff programs. He ensures the preparation of the 8,200 airmen and soldiers of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for contingency operations in both federal and state emergencies. He assists The Adjutant General in overseeing the Commonwealth’s Joint Homeland Defense Program, to include rapid reaction forces, contingency emergency response forces, counter drug operations, civil support teams, expeditionary medical teams and explosives ordnance disposal.
General LeFavor graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1986 earning a Bachelor of Science in European History. Prior to his assignment to Commander, 102d Intelligence Wing, he was the Vice Wing Commander. His other 102d assignments were, the Intelligence Group Commander, Wing Transformation Officer, 101st Fighter Squadron Commander, Fighter Director of Operations, Assistant Director of Operations, Flight Commander. Prior to his assignment to the 102d Fighter Wing, he was an Active Duty F-15C pilot with operational tours at Bitburg Air Base, West Germany, Kadena Air Base, Japan, Langley Air Force Base, VA. He also served his Alpha tour flying AT-38Bs at Holloman Air Force Base, NM. His staff assignments include Chief of Air-Air Inspections, Air Combat Command Inspector General Office, Langley Air Force Base, VA. He has served in Operations DESERT FOX, SOUTHERN WATCH, and NOBLE EAGLE.
1986 Bachelor of Science, European History, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1992 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Air Command and Staff College, Correspondence
2006 Air War College, Correspondence
2008 Intelligence Officer Course, Goodfellow AFB, TX
2013 Leadership in Homeland Security, Harvard Kennedy School
1. 1986 – 1987, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Reese AFB, TX
2. 1987 – 1988, Lead-In Fighter Training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. 1987 - 1988, F-15 Replacement Training Unit, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
4. 1988 - 1990, F-15 Pilot, Assistant Scheduler, Maintenance Liaison Officer, 53rd Tactical Fighter Squadron, 36th Tactical Fighter Wing, Bitburg AB, Federal Republic of Germany
5. 1990 - 1993, AT-38B Instructor Pilot, Assistant Weapons Officer, Chief of Scheduling, 435th, 433rd, 8th, and 7th Fighter Squadrons, Operations Group Standardization and Evaluation Officer, 49th Fighter Wing, Holloman AFB, N.M.
6. 1993 - 1996, F-15 Instructor pilot, Training Officer, Weapons and Tactics officer, Flight Commander, 44th Fighter Squadron, 18th Fighter Wing, Kadena AB, Japan
7. 1996 - 1998, F-15 Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, Assistant Operations Officer, 27th Fighter Squadron, Chief of Operations Group Standardization and Evaluation, 1st Fighter Wing, Langley AFB, Va.
8. 1998 - 2000, F-15 Instructor Pilot, Chief of Air-Air Inspections, Air Combat Command Inspector General, Langley AFB, Va.
9. 2000 - 2007, Commander, 101st Fighter Squadron, F-15 Instructor Pilot, Training Officer, Flight Commander, Assistant Operations Officer, Operations Officer, Transformation Officer, 102d Fighter Wing, Otis ANGB, Mass.
10. 2007 - 2008, Intelligence Officer Course, Goodfellow AFB, TX
11. 2008 - 2012, Commander, 102d Intelligence Group, 102d Intelligence Wing Senior Intelligence Officer, Distributed Common Ground Station Mission Operations Commander, Otis ANGB, Mass.
12. 2012 - 2013, Vice Commander, 102d Intelligence Wing, Otis ANGB, Mass.
13. 2013 - 2016, Commander, 102d Intelligence Wing, Otis ANG Base, Mass.
14. 2016 – Present, Chief of Staff, Commander MA ANG, JFHQ-MA
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 3,200
Aircraft flown: F-15 A-D, AT38B
(Current as of March 2017)
Command Sergeant Major
Carlos Ramos Rivera
State Command Sergeant Major